Literary Site Type: Historical Site

Maryland Center for History and Culture

The Maryland Historical Society, founded in 1844, is the oldest cultural institution in Maryland. The society “collects, preserves, and interprets objects and materials reflecting Maryland’s diverse heritage.” Their collection includes the original manuscript of the “Star-Spangled Banner.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald’s Bolton Hill Home

The building at 1307 Park Avenue, in Baltimore’s Bolton Hill neighborhood, is the last place where F. Scott Fitzgerald and his wife Zelda lived together. During his stay in the apartment Fitzgerald wrote his last complete novel, Tender Is the Night. The building remains a private residence and is marked with a blue plaque in Fitzgerald’s honor.

Hotel Boulderado

Built in 1909 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Hotel Boulderado is where character Paul Sheldon goes to write his books in Stephen King’s Misery. Early guests included conservationist Enos Mills, actress Ethel Barrymore, actor Douglas Fairbanks, Sr., and poet Robert Frost.

Laura (Riding) Jackson Foundation

The Laura (Riding) Jackson Foundation is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that is dedicated to preserving the author’s home and nurturing local writers through a series of literary offerings including writers groups, summer camps, workshops and poetry festivals.

Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings Historic State Park

Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings’ Florida homestead in the tiny community of Cross Creek has been restored and preserved as it was when the author moved there in 1928. Visitors can tour her cracker–style home and farm, where she lived for twenty-five years and wrote her Pulitzer prize-winning novel The Yearling (1938).

Sequoyah’s Cabin

Sequoyah built this one-room log cabin in 1829 shortly after moving to Oklahoma. The cabin became the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society in 1936, and the cabin was enclosed in a stone cover building as a project of the Works Progress Administration. In 1966 the Secretary of the Interior designated the site as a National Historic Landmark.

Washington Irving Monument

This monument was erected and donated to the public by Mr. and Mrs. Gabriel Norman Wright to commemorate the visit of the great author to this locality on October 14, 1832, in company with a party of U. S. Rangers from Cantonment Gibson. They camped that night about thirteen miles west of this point, near the present town of Wekiwa.

Casa Genotta

Located within the resort community of Sea Island, Georgia, this landmark was once home to American playwright Eugene O’Neill and his wife, Carlotta. O’Neill was the first American to introduce realism, which was associated with Anton Chekhov, into dramatic tragedy. He was also one of the first playwrights to incorporate speeches using the American vernacular. O’Neill won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama three times in his lifetime, for Beyond the Horizon (1920), Anna Christie (1922), and Strange Interlude (1928).

Dr. Seuss National Memorial Sculpture Garden

The Dr. Seuss National Memorial Sculpture Garden is a historic landmark located in the green quadrangle at the center of the Springfield Museums and the Springfield City Library. Theodor Seuss Geisel was born in Springfield, and the city is said to have inspired much of his work. His stepdaughter, sculptor Lark Grey Dimond-Cates, created the bronze sculptures of Dr. Seuss and several of his characters, including Horton, the Cat in the Hat, the Grinch, the Storyteller, and the Lorax.

Hours are Tuesday through Saturday 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM, and Sunday from 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

Snapdragon Inn

Constructed in 1815 by John Skinner, 26 Main Street was long owned by Maxwell Perkins, who vacationed here in the summer. Perkins is best known as the editor for F. Scott Fitzgerald, Thomas Wolfe, and Ernest Hemingway, among others.

Pages

Subscribe to Historical Site